"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Until the Real Thing Comes Along

By Mann Holiner, Alberta Nichols, Saul Chaplin, L.E. Freeman & Sammy Cahn
1936

Strangely, this song was initially published in two versions which were identical, only one listed different three composers, while the other listed five. Today, ASCAP credits all five. The song was introduced by bandleader Andy Kirk (pictured). Kirk actually made two different 1936 recordings of the tune, one in March and one in April, using two different vocalists--Ben Thigpen and Pha Terrell.

Lyrics:

I'd work for you,
I'd slave for you,
I'd be a beggar or a knave for you.
If that isn't love, it will have to do,
Until the real thing comes along.

I'd gladly move
The earth for you
To prove my love, dear,
And it's worth for you.
If that isn't love, it'll have to do,
Until the real thing comes along.

With all the words, dear, at my command,
I just can't make you understand.
I'll always love you, darling,
Come what may.
My heart is yours
What more can I say?

I'd lie for you,
I'd sigh for you,
I'd tear the stars down
From the sky for you.
If that isn't love, it will have to do,
Until the real thing comes along.

Recorded By:

Billie Holiday
Fats Waller
Frank Sinatra
Ella Fitzgerald
Dexter Gordon

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station