"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

'S Wonderful

By George & Ira Gershwin
1927

Making clever use of 1920s slang, this song was introduced in the Gershwin stage musical Funny Face, in which it was sung by Adele Astaire (Fred's sister) and Allen Kearns. It would pop up decades later in both An American in Paris (1951), and the movie Funny Face (1957) in which Fred Astaire sang it with Audrey Hepburn. An extremely popular standard.

Lyrics:

Don't mind telling you, in my humble fash,
That you thrill me through, with a tender pash.
When you said you care, 'magine my emoshe?
I swore then and there, permanent devoshe.
You made all other men seem blah,
Just you alone filled me with ahhhhhhhh......

'S wonderful, 's marvelous,
You should care for me!
'S awful nice, 's paradise,
'S what I love to see.

You've made my life so glamorous,
You can't blame me for feeling amorous!
Oh, 's wonderful, 's marvelous,
That you should care for me!

'S magnifique, 's what I seek,
You should care for me.
'S elegant, 's what I want,
'S what I love to see.

My dear, it's four-leaf clover time,
From now on my heart's working overtime.
'S exceptional, 's no bagatelle,
That you should care for...
That you should care for...
That you should care for me.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Judy Garland
Joe Williams
John Pizzarelli
Sarah Vaughan

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station