"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, April 4, 2010

All I Do Is Dream of You

By Nacio Herb Brown & Arthur Freed
1934

Originally written for the motion picture Sadie McKee, this wistful song of unconditional love was a huge hit of the 1930s. The first recording was done by the Hotel Great Northern Orchestra, after which it immediately became a popular standard. Chico Marx famously performed it on the piano in A Night at the Opera.

Lyrics:

All I do the whole night through
Is dream of you.
And with the dawn, I still go on,
Dreamin' of you.

You're every thought,
You're everything,
You're every song I ever sing.
Summer, winter, autumn and spring.

And were there more
Than twenty-four hours a day,
They'd be spent in sweet content,
Dreamin' away.

When skies are gray,
Skies are blue,
Morning, noon and nighttime too.
All I do the whole day through,
Is dream of you...

Recorded By:

Patti Page
Johnny Ray
Perry Como
Ella Fitzgerald
Dean Martin

2 comments:

Free music said...

Thanks for sharing the lyrics...

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I didn't know Chico did a version.

Listen to The Jonathan Station