"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, December 22, 2011

I Could Have Danced All Night

By Alan Jay Lerner & Frederick Loewe
1956

One of the signature songs from Lerner & Loewe's great musical, My Fair Lady. It was introduced on stage by Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle, singing rapturously of her growing love for Prof. Higgins. It was reprised in the film version, with star Audrey Hepburn dubbed with the voice of vocalist Marni Nixon. A beautiful sampling of the type of material being put out during the golden age of the Hollywood musical.

Lyrics:

I could have danced all night!
I could have danced all night!
And still have begged for more.

I could have spread my wings,
And done a thousand things
I've never done before.

I'll never know what made it so exciting,
Why all at once my heart took flight.

I only know when he
Began to dance with me,
I could have danced, danced danced all night!

Recorded By:

Sylvia Syms
Dinah Shore
Frank Sinatra
Rosemary Clooney
Petula Clark

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station