"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Love Is Blue

By Andre Popp, Pierre Cour and Bryan Blackburn
1967

This "easy listening" classic began life as the French song "L'amour est bleu" by Popp and Cour, introduced by Greek vocalist Vicky Leandros as part of the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest. The following year, Blackburn would add English lyrics, first recorded by Ray Coniff. But by far the most memorable version of the song would be from French orchestra leader Paul Mauriat. Mauriat's haunting version, steeped in the "baroque pop" aesthetic that briefly reigned in the late 1960s, soared to number one on the American charts, becoming the first record by a French artist to do so. Alongside Percy Faith's recording of "Theme from a Summer Place", it is probably the most popular pop instrumental of all time.

Lyrics: 
Blue, blue, my world is blue
Blue is my world now I'm without you
Gray, gray, my life is gray
Cold is my heart since you went away
Red, red, my eyes are red
Crying for you alone in my bed
Green, green, my jealous heart
I doubted you and now we're apart
When we met how the bright sun shone
Then love died, now the rainbow is gone
Black, black, the nights I've known
Longing for you so lost and alone
Recorded By:
Al Martino
Lawrence Welk and His Orchestra
Nancy Wilson
Jerry Vale
Andre Kostelanetz and His Orchestra

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station