"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dream a Little Dream of Me

By Fabian Andre, Wilbur Schwandt & Gus Kahn
1931

Although written as a ballad, it was introduced in up-tempo fashion by the Wayne King orchestra, and remained so until Doris Day's 1957 rendition. Since then, it has usually been recorded with a slow tempo, including the version best known to modern listeners, the 1968 recording by Mama Cass Elliot of The Mamas & The Papas. That single went platinum, in fact.

Lyrics:

Stars shining bright above you,
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you".
Birds singing in the sycamore trees--
Dream a little dream of me.

Say nighty-night and kiss me,
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me.
While I'm alone and blue as can be,
Dream a little dream of me.

Stars fading, but I linger on dear,
Still craving your kiss.
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear,
Just saying this:

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you,
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you.
But in your dreams whatever they be,
Dream a little dream of me.

Recorded By:

Louis Armstrong
Frankie Laine
Ella Fitzgerald
Nat King Cole Trio
Dinah Shore

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station