"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, October 30, 2009

Shine On, Harvest Moon

By Jack Norworth & Nora Bayes
1908

An utterly charming tune from the turn of the 20th century, which remained a popular standard for many decades. It was first performed by the composers in the Zeigfeld Follies of 1908. It is one of the songs of that era that was usually performed in something of an ethnic African-American style. It would later be repopularized on the Arthur Godfrey radio program, and I have always adored Laurel & Hardy's beautiful rendition in The Flying Deuces (below).

Lyrics:

The night was mighty dark so you could hardly see,
For the moon refused to shine.
Couple sitting underneath a willow tree,
For love they did pine.
Little maid was kinda 'fraid of darkness
So she said, "I guess I'll go."
Boy began to sigh, looked up at the sky,
And told the moon his little tale of woe...
Oh, Shine on, shine on, harvest moon
Up in the sky;
I ain't had no lovin'
Since January, April, June or July.
Snow time ain't no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon;
So shine on, shine on, harvest moon,
For me and my gal.
Recorded By:

Leon Redbone
Coleman Hawkins
Les Brown
Artie Shaw
The Ink Spots

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station