"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, February 24, 2012

Moonglow

By Will Hudson, Irving Mills & Eddie DeLange
1933

An early '30s Tin Pan Alley chestnut that soon became a popular jazz standard after being introduced by Joe Venuti and his orchestra. It has the kind of structure and chord progression that just latches on to you and doesn't let go, whether played mellow--as it usually is--or even upbeat. It was featured prominently in the Scorsese film The Aviator, and I've always wondered why Sinatra never included it on his Moonlight Sinatra album...

Lyrics:

It must have been moonglow, way up in the blue
It must have been moonglow that led me straight to you
I still hear you sayin', "Dear one, hold me fast"
And I keep on prayin', "Oh Lord, please let this last"

We seemed to float right through the air
Heavenly songs seemed to come from everywhere

And now when there's moonglow, way up in the blue
I'll always remember, that moonglow gave me you

Recorded By:

Benny Goodman
Tony Bennett & k.d. lang
Artie Shaw
Ethel Waters
Louis Prima

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear this tune I invariably think of the dance scene in Picnic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNxtxfuZD6M

Keith Henson
Puyallup, WA

B-Sol said...

Good stuff! Thanks for posting the link.

Listen to The Jonathan Station