"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, November 18, 2018

I Didn't Know About You

By Duke Ellington and Bob Russell
1944

One of several Ellington big band tunes for which long-time collaborator Russell (pictured) wrote accompanying lyrics. Duke first composed the melody as an instrumental in 1943, and recorded it under the title "Sentimental Lady" with his band for radio broadcast, and when lyrics were added, he recorded it again at the end of 1944 with Joya Sherrill on vocals. However, they were beaten to it a few weeks earlier by Paul Weston's Orchestra, which introduced the song with Jo Stafford and the Pied Pipers on vocals. A wistful jazz favorite, it has occasionally still been recorded over the years under the "Sentimental Lady" banner (perhaps as a connection to Ellington's "Sophisticated Lady").

Lyrics:

I ran around, with my own little crowd
The usual laughs, not often, but loud
And in the world that I knew
I didn't know about you

Chasing after the ring, on the merry-go-round
Just taking my fun, where it could be found
And yet what else could I do
I didn't know about you

Darling, now I know
I had the loneliest yesterday, everyday
In your arms
I know for once in my life, I'm living

Had a good time, everytime I went out
Romance was a thing, I kidded about
How could I know about love
I didn't know about you


Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
June Christy
Woody Herman
Count Basie
Lena Horne

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station