"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii

By Johnny Noble, Bill Cogswell and Tommy Harrison
1933

A classic example of the hapa haole song genre that combines American jazz style and Hawaiian instrumentation, this wonderful song epitomized the Hawaiian music and cultural craze that gripped America during much of the early 20th century. The original melody and lyrics were written by American transplants Cogswell and Harrison as a parody of the 1924 song, "Back in Hackensack, New Jersey", intended to be used for the Kona Independence Day celebration of 1933. Popular Hawaii-based bandleader Johnny Noble further adapted it to make it distinct from "Hackensack", and it became a runaway hit with tourists and natives alike. It was introduced on record by the Noelani Hawaiian Orchestra, but it was Ted Fio Rito's version that rocketed to the top of the Billboard charts for 14 week in early 1934. To this day, it can be heard in many movies and TV shows as an instant evocation of the beautiful 50th state.

Lyrics:

I want to go back to my little grass shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii
I want to be with all the kanes and wahines that I knew long ago
I can hear old guitars a playing, on the beach at Hoonaunau
I can hear the Hawaiians saying "Komomai no kaua ika hale welakahao"


It won't be long 'til my ship will be sailing back to Kona
A grand old place that's always fair to see
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homeside Island boy
I want to go back to my fish and poi
I want to go back to my little grass shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii
Where the Humuhumu, Nukunuku a puaa goes swimming by
Where the Humuhumu, Nukunuku a puaa goes swimming by!


Recorded By:

Martin Denny
Les Paul and Mary Ford
Bing Crosby
Leon Redbone and Ringo Starr
Lisa Loeb

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station