"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We'll Meet Again

By Ross Parker & Hughie Charles
1939

In honor of Veteran's Day, I give you this classic anthem of World War II, introduced as an immensely popular UK hit by Vera Lynn. The moving lyric by Charles takes both an optimistic and melancholy stance, understood by those who hoped to see their loved ones again as they parted due to the war, yet understood that the meeting place might also be heaven. This is a sentiment known all too well today by those serving overseas in Iraq, and by those who love them. Lynn's recording was prominently featured as the closing theme of Dr. Strangelove, and more recently in Hellboy.

Here's to the veterans. Thank you all.

Lyrics:

Let's say goodbye with a smile, dear,
Just for a while, dear, we must part.
Don't let the parting upset you,
I'll not forget you, sweetheart.

We'll meet again,
Don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day.

Keep smiling through,
Just like you always do,
'Til the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.

So will you please say hello to the folks that I know,
Tell them I won't be long.
They'll be happy to know that as you saw me go,
I was singing this song.

After the rain comes the rainbow,
You'll see the rain go, never fear.
We two can wait for tomorrow,
Goodbye to sorrow, my dear.

We'll meet again,
Don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day.

Recorded By:

Johnny Cash
The Byrds
Frank Sinatra
Peggy Lee
The Ink Spots

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station