"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues

By Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler
1932

A popular jazz and blues standard by the Arlen/Koehler team, which as far as I know was not part of their revues, but rather a stand-alone song. It was introduced by Louis Armstrong, but soon became more closely associated with Jack Teagarden, who made it his theme song. A great example of the knack the Jewish Arlen for bluesy, African-American styled melodies.

Lyrics:

I gotta right to sing the blues
I gotta right to feel low-down
I gotta right to hang around
Down around the river

A certain gal in this old town
Keeps draggin' my poor (old) heart around
All I see, for me is - misery

I gotta right to sing the blues
I gotta right to moan and sigh
I gotta right to sit and cry
Down around the river

I know the deep blue sea
Will soon be callin' me
It must be love - say what you choose
I gotta right to sing the blues

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Benny Goodman
Billie Holiday
Art Tatum
Earl Hines

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station