"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, April 9, 2012

Tiptoe Through the Tulips

By Joe Burke & Al Dubin
1929

If you think it was Tiny Tim who introduced this song, then think again. This was a tried-and-true standard introduced by "The Crooning Troubadour" Nick Lucas in the movie Gold Diggers of Broadway. Lucas' version also hit number one on the pop charts and stayed for the 10 weeks. It became one of the most popular tunes of the early '30s, recorded many times. Novelty act Tiny Tim (as well as The Human Society) reintroduced it as an odd relic in the late 1960s. Tim's recording was also recently included to spooky effect in the 2011 horror film Insidious.

Lyrics:

Tiptoe through the window
By the window, that is where I'll be
Come tiptoe through the tulips with me

Oh, tiptoe from the garden
By the garden of the willow tree
And tiptoe through the tulips with me

Knee deep in flowers we'll stray
We'll keep the showers away
And if I kiss you in the garden, in the moonlight
Will you pardon me?
And tiptoe through the tulips with me

Recorded By:

Tiny Tim
The Human Society
Jean Goldkette
Johnny Marvin
Roy Fox

2 comments:

Bissy said...

Lovin your posts!
Check out my site: www.bissyblog.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

Your post looking so beautiful i am so inspire here and also i have some information for you just click here
Dubstep Mixer
. I think you will inspire here.
Thanks for sharing with us...



Dubstep Mixer

Listen to The Jonathan Station