"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fever

By Eddie Cooley & John Davenport
1956

After being published by Cooley and "Davenport" (a pseudonym for early rock 'n roll songwriter Otis Blackwell), the tune was introduced by R&B singer Little Willie John. But it was Peggy Lee's iconic 1958 version, with its classic bassline, that made the song a standard. A precursor to the rock n' roll style that would soon take over, the song is actually constructed on almost the exact same chord progression, tempo and key as Tennessee Ernie Ford's recording of "Sixteen Tons" from 1955.

Lyrics:

Never know how much i love you,
Never know how much i care.
When you put your arms around me,
I get a fever that's so hard to bare.

You give me fever--
When you kiss me,
Fever when you hold me tight.
Fever--
In the morning,
Fever all through the night.

Sun lights up the day time,
Moon lights up the night,
I light up when you call my name,
And I know you're gonna treat me right.

You give me fever--
When you kiss me,
Fever when you hold me tight.
Fever--
In the morning,
Fever all through the night.

Everybody's got the fever,
That is something you all know.
Fever isn't such a new thing,
Fever start long ago.

Romeo loved Juliet,
Juliet she felt the same.
When he put his arms around her,
He said, "Julie baby, your my flame,

"Now give me fever--
When were kissin'
Fever with that flamin' youth.
Fever--
I'm on fire,
Fever, yay, I burn, forsooth."

Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair.
When her daddy tried to kill him,
She said, "Daddy, oh don't you dare!

"He gives me fever--
With his kisses,
Fever when he holds me tight.
Fever--
I'm his misses.
Daddy, won't you treat him right?"

Now you listened to my story,
Here's the point that I have made:
Chicks were born to give you fever,
Be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade.

They give you fever--
When you kiss them,
Fever if you live and learn.
Fever--
Till you sizzle,
What a lovely way to burn.

Recorded By:

Madonna
Michael Buble
Sarah Vaughan
Ella Fitzgerald
Nina Simone

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station