"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, September 15, 2008

Tea for Two

By Vincent Youmans & Irving Caesar
1925

This well-remembered tune was written for the infamous musical No, No, Nanette, the non-musical version of which had been financed six years earlier by Red Sox owner Harry Frazee with money he got from selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees. It became a common selection among tap dancers (who could forget Daffy Duck's soft shoe?), and was later revived by Doris Day in the 1950 movie of the same name. Lyricist Caesar would later claim the words were originally intended only as filler.

Lyrics:

I'm discontented with homes that I've rented,
So I have invented my own.
Darling, this place is a lovely oasis,
Where life's weary taste is unknown.
Far from the crowded city,
Where flowers pretty caress the stream.
Cozy to hide in, to live side by side in,
Don't let it apart in my dream--

Picture you upon my knee,
Just tea for two,
And two for tea.
Just me for you,
And you for me alone.

Nobody near us, to see us or hear us,
No friends or relations,
On weekend vacations.
We won't have it known, dear,
That we own a telephone, dear...

Day will break and I'll awake,
And start to bake a sugar cake,
For you to take for all the boys to see.

We will raise a family,
A boy for you,
And a girl for me.
Can't you see how happy we would be?

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Tony Bennett
Neil Diamond
Duke Ellington
Blossom Dearie

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station