"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Long Ago (And Far Away)

By Jerome Kern & Ira Gershwin
1944

This one was written for Columbia Pictures' first Technicolor production Cover Girl. Although it was given to the ravishing Rita Hayworth to "sing" in the movie, the actual dubbed voice was that of Martha Mears, who was commonly used to dub actors' singing voices in 1940s musicals.

Lyrics:

Dreary days are over.
Life's a four leaf clover.
Sessions of depressions are through.
Every hope I longed for long ago, comes true.

Long ago and far away,
I dreamed a dream one day,
And now that dream is here beside me.
Long the skies were overcast,
But now the clouds have passed,
You're here at last!

Chills run up and down my spine,
Aladdin's Lamp is mine,
The dream I dreamed was not denied me.
Just one look and then I knew,
That all I longed for
Long ago, was you.

Recorded By:

Dick Haymes & Helen Forrest
Bing Crosby
Jo Stafford
Perry Como
Chet Baker

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station