"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pick Yourself Up

By Jerome Kern & Dorothy Fields
1936

One of so many memorable standards written for Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, this one comes from Swing Time, considered by most to be their finest musical film. Kern & Fields composed all the songs for the movie, including "A Fine Romance" and the Oscar-winning "The Way You Look Tonight".

Lyrics:

Nothing's impossible, I have found,
For when my chin is on the ground,
I pick myself up, dust myself off, start all over again.

Don't lose your confidence, if you slip.
Be grateful for a pleasant trip,
And pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again.

Work like a soul inspired,
Till the battle of the day is won.
You may be sick and tired,
But you'll be a man, my son.

Don't you remember the famous men,
Who had to fall to rise again?
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again.

Recorded By:

Anita O'Day
Frank Sinatra
Diana Krall
Nat King Cole
Benny Goodman

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station