"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, November 30, 2008

GIve Me the Simple Life

By Harry Ruby & Rube Bloom
1945

Ruby (pictured) and Bloom collaborated on this song for the movie musical Wake Up and Dream, starring June Haver and John Payne. Ruby was also the composer of such standards as "Who's Sorry Now?", "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" and "I Wanna Be Loved By You." He was a close friend of Groucho Marx, and wrote many of the classic songs from the Marx Brothers films.

Lyrics:

I don't believe in frettin' and grievin';

Why mess around with strife?

I never was cut out to step and strut out.

Give me the simple life.

Some find it pleasant dining on pheasant.
Those things roll off my knife;
Just serve me tomatoes; and mashed potatoes;
Give me the simple life.

A cottage small is all I'm after,
Not one that's spacious and wide.
A house that rings with joy and laughter
And the ones you love inside.

Some like the high road, I like the low road,
Free from the care and strife.
Sounds corny and seedy, but yes, indeed-y;
Give me the simple life.

Recorded By:

Julie London
Tony Bennett
June Christy
Rosemary Clooney
Stan Getz

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Perfect4health said...

Brilliantly Slim: Every new day you keep running over a weight decrease supplement in the market. Starting in the no so distant past, we are sure that is an unending

number of enhancements which guarantee you sit tight for adversity in a stipulated time period. In any case, we can't fall into the snare of each one of these cases,

can we? That is the reason we keep our per clients instructed about all the new enhancements moved accessible, incorporating the reviews as for them. We trust these

articles help you in finding the right enhancement which suits your necessities. Much the equivalent as some other enhancement, today we will review Radiantly Slim

Diet pills to empower you to comprehend whether you should spend your money on it or not. Read here
Radiantly Slim Diet, Radiantly Slim Diet Reviews, Radiantly Slim Diet Where to Buy?

Listen to The Jonathan Station