"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, November 7, 2008

Lover Man

By Jimmy Davis, Roger Ramirez & James Sherman
1941

While serving in the Army, Davis wrote the song specifically for Billie Holiday, and brought it straight to her when he was home on leave. Unfortunately, he was shipped back to Europe with the outbreak of World War II, and didn't live to see Lady Day make it one of her classic recordings three years later. Holiday adored the haunting, deeply bluesy ballad, and was adamant about recording it will a full string section, which Columbia Records agreed to after some prodding.

Lyrics:

I don't know why, but I'm feeling so sad.
I long to try something I never had.
Never had no kissin',
Oh, what I've been missin'.
Lover man, oh, where can you be?

The night is cold, and I'm so alone.
I'd give my soul just to call you my own.
Got a moon above me,
But no one to love me.
Lover man, oh, where can you be?

I've heard it said
That the thrill of romance
Can be like a heavenly dream.
I go to bed with a prayer
That you'll make love to me,
Strange as it seems.

Someday we'll meet, and you'll dry all my tears,
Then whisper sweet little things in my ear.
Hugging and a-kissing,
Oh, what I've been missing.
Lover man, oh, where can you be?

Recorded By:

Sonny Rollins
Ella Fitzgerald
Charlie Parker
Dizzy Gillespie & Sarah Vaughan
Dinah Washington

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station