"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dedicated to You

By Saul Chaplin, Hy Zaret & Sammy Cahn
1936

Composer Chaplin (pictured) and lyricist Cahn had previously met while members of the same orchestra, and this tune was in fact one of Chaplin's first efforts as an official member of ASCAP. It was introduced by Andy Kirk & His Twelve Clouds of Joy, but a young Ella Fitzgerald would get the big hit some months later. Chaplin was also responsible for songs like "Until the Real Thing Comes Along", "If Its the Last Thing I Do" and "Please Be Kind". He later gained acclaim in Hollywood as a producer/arranger for musicals like An American in Paris, High Society and West Side Story.

Lyrics:

If I should write a book for you,
That brought me fame and fortune, too,
That book would be, like my heart and me--
Dedicated to you.

And, if I should paint a picture, too,
That showed the loveliness of you,
My art would be, like my heart and me--
Dedicated to you.

To you,
Because your love is the beacon that lights up my way.
To you,
Because with you I know one lifetime could be just one heavenly place.

If I should find a twinkling star
One half so wondrous as you are,
That star would be, like my heart and me--
Dedicated to you.

Recorded By:

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
Freddie Hubbard
Carmen McRae
Sarah Vaughan
Sammy Davis Jr.

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station