"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dream Dancing

By Cole Porter
1941

Still on the Fred Astaire kick today. This one was written by Porter for Astaire's movie You'll Never Get Rich. Ironically, it was introduced in the film as an instrumental; still Astaire was the first to subsequently record it with lyrics, accompanied by the Delta Rhythm Boys.

Lyrics:

When day is gone and night comes on,
Until the dawn what do I do?
I clasp your hand and wander through slumber land,
Dream dancing with you.

We dance between a sky serene
And fields of green sparkling with dew.
It's joy sublime whenever I spend my time
Dream dancing with you.

Dream dancing,
Oh, what a lucky windfall,
Touching you, clutching you,
All the night through.

So say you love me, dear,
And let me make my career
Dream dancing, dream dancing with you.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Mel Torme & George Shearing
Tony Bennett
Stacey Kent
Ray Anthony

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station