"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, January 16, 2009

Have You Met Miss Jones?

By Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart
1937

This is the only song that survived Rodgers & Hart's political satire I'd Rather Be Right, which starred George M. Cohan as FDR. In the show, it was introduced by Austin Marshall and Joy Hodges. Some credit the chord transition in the bridge with inspiring John Coltrane to come up with his trademark key-changing bridges. Robbie Williams' 2001 rendition for the soundtrack of Bridget Jones' Diary renewed interest in the tune.

Lyrics:

It happened--
I felt it happen.
I was awake,
I wasn't blind.
I didn't think--
I felt it happen.
Now I believe in matter over mind.
And now, you see, we mustn't wait.
The nearest moment that we marry is too late!

"Have you met Miss Jones?"
Someone said as we shook hands,
She was just Miss Jones to me.

Then I said, "Miss Jones,
You're a girl who understands,
I'm a boy who must be free."

And all at once I lost my breath,
And all at once was scared to death,
And all at once I held the earth and sky!

Now I've met Miss Jones,
And we'll keep on meeting till we die,
Miss Jones and I.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Oscar Peterson
Art Tatum
Sarah Vaughan

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station