"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Man I Love

By George & Ira Gershwin
1927

This Gershwin classic originates in the first production of Strike Up the Band, which lasted for all of one day in its first Philadelphia run. The song was cut when the show was revived in New York three years later. It later became a standard thanks to Billie Holiday's famous rendition, which perfectly communicating the tender longing embodied in the material.

Lyrics:

Some day he'll come along,

The man I love.

And he'll be big and strong,

The man I love.

And when he comes my way
,
I'll do my best to make him stay!

He'll look at me and smile;
I'll understand.
And in a little while,
He'll take my hand;
And though it seems absurd,
I know we both won't say a word!

Maybe I shall meet him Sunday,
Maybe Monday, maybe not.
Still I'm sure to meet him one day;
Maybe Tuesday will be my good news day!

We'll build a little home
Just meant for two,
From which I'll never roam;
Who would? Would you?
And so, all else above,
I'm waiting for the man I love!

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Lena Horne
Kate Bush
Barbra Streisand
Etta James

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station