"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Avalon

By Al Jolson, Vincent Rose & B.G. De Sylva
1920

Churned out at the height of Jolson's popularity, it may or not be legit that the singer had a part in its composition--at the time, it was common for stars like him to get a cut of the royalties for songs they introduced. The lyrics referred to the Hollywood resort community of Catalina Island, but the melody was clever lift from Puccini's Tosca--or perhaps not so clever, as Puccini's publishers successfully sued the songwriters in 1921.

Lyrics:

I found my love in Avalon,
Beside the bay.
I left my love in Avalon,
And sailed away.

I dream of her and Avalon,
From dusk 'til dawn.
And so I think I'll travel on
To Avalon.

Recorded By:

Vaughan Monroe
Nat King Cole
Cab Calloway
Coleman Hawkins & Django Reinhardt
Benny Goodman Quartet

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station