"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Easy Living

By Ralph Rainger & Leo Robin
1937

Written for the film of the same name, the song was originally performed as an instrumental, but became a big vocal hit for Billie Holiday and the Teddy Wilson orchestra shortly after the pictures' release. It has been popular with jazz artists ever since. The song was re-used in the 1949 movie of the same name (different plot), in which it was sung by Audrey Wilder, wife of director Billy Wilder.

Lyrics:

Living for you is easy living.
It's easy to live when you're in love,
And I'm so in love.
There is nothing in life but you.

I never regret the years that I'm giving,
They're easy to give when you're in love.
I'm happy to do
Whatever I do for you.

For you maybe I'm a fool,
But its fun.
People say you rule me with one wave of your hand.
Darling, its grand.
They just don't understand.

Living for you is easy living.
It's easy to live when you're in love.
And I'm so in love.
There's nothing in life but you.

Recorded By:

Chet Baker
Stan Getz
Ann Hampton Callaway
Dinah Washington
Sarah Vaughan

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station