"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, August 21, 2009

I'm Getting Sentimental Over You

By George Bassman & Ned Washington
1932

Although it was introduced by the Washboard Rhythm Kings, this song is best known as the theme for the Tommy Dorsey orchestra. Dorsey adopted the tune as his theme in 1935, and his saxophonist Noni Bernardi arranged it as a fox trot, which would be the form the band would always play it in. After Dorsey passed on in 1957, his former vocalist Frank Sinatra recorded the song as a tribute on his 1961 album I Remember Tommy.

Lyrics:

Never thought I'd fall,
But now I hear love's call.
I'm getting sentimental over you.

Things you say and do
Just thrill me through and through,
I'm getting sentimental over you.

I thought I was happy,
I could live without love.
Now I must admit,
Love is all I'm thinking of.

Won't you please be kind,
And just make up your mind
That you'll be sweet and gentle--be gentle with me!
`Cause I'm getting sentimental over you.

Recorded By:

Maynard Ferguson
Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass
They Might Be Giants
Thelonious Monk
The Ink Spots

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station