"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, August 2, 2009

South of the Border

By Jimmy Kennedy & Michael Carr
1939

A unique composition, in which the breezy, swinging melody is in direct contrast to the rueful lyrics, in which a man regrets his deception of a Mexican beauty he returns to when it's too late. It was written for "singing cowboy" Gene Autry, for the film of the same name. Frank Sinatra would record the most famous version nearly 20 years later.

Lyrics:

South of the border, down Mexico way,
That's where I fell in love, where the stars above came out to play.
And now as I wander, my thoughts ever stray
South of the border, down Mexico way.

She was a picture in old Spanish lace.
Just for a tender while, I kissed a smile upon her face.
'Cause it was fiesta, and we were so gay,
South of the border, down Mexico way.

Then she smiled as she whispered, "Manana,"
Never dreaming that we were parting.
Then I lied as a whispered, "Manana,"
'Cause our tomorrow never came.

South of the border, I went back one day.
There in a veil of white, by the candle light, she knelt to pray.
The mission bells told me that I mustn't stay
South of the border, down Mexico way.

Recorded By:

Patsy Cline
Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass
Chris Isaak
Charlie Parker
Tommy Dorsey

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station