"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Charmaine

By Erno Rapee & Lew Pollack
1927


A lush and charming love ballad from the roaring '20s, composed originally for the silent film classic What Price Glory? It would also be introduced on record the same year by the Guy Lombardo orchestra. Since then, it has infiltrated popular culture, with the Mantovani version being used by Monty Python and in the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It is also featured in The Abominable Dr. Phibes. It was originally conceived as a waltz, and it is in this style that Frank Sinatra recorded it for his 1961 All Alone album.

Lyrics:

I can't forget the night we met, how bright were stars above.
That precious memory lingers yet, when you declared your love.
And then you went away, and now each night and day...

I wonder why you keep me waiting, Charmaine, my Charmaine.
I wonder when bluebirds are mating, will you come back again?
I wonder if I keep on praying, will our dreams be the same?
I wonder if you ever think of me too ..
I am waiting my Charmaine for you ...

Recorded By:

The Bachelors
Tex Beneke
Bill Haley & His Comets
The Ink Spots
The Four Freshmen

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station