"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, April 27, 2009

It's Magic

By Jule Styne & Sammy Cahn
1947

The lovely Doris Day introduced this tune, written for her to perform in her debut motion picture, Romance on the High Seas. Ms. Day was one of five people to subsequently record the song the following year, and her version was the most successful, rising to #2 on the Billboard charts.

Lyrics:

You sigh, the song begins,
You speak and I hear violins.
It's magic.

The stars desert the skies,
And rush to nestle in your eyes.
It's magic.

Without a golden wand or mystic charms.
Fantastic things begin when I am in your arms.

When we walk hand-in-hand,
The world becomes a wonderland.
It's magic.

How else can I explain
Those rainbows when there isn't rain?
It's magic.

Why do I tell me myself
These things that happen are all really true,
When in my heart I know
The magic is my love for you?

Recorded By:

Jerry Vale
Tony Martin
Dick Haymes
Sarah Vaughan
Keeley Smith

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station