"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, April 6, 2009

Looking at the World Through Rose-Colored Glasses

By Jimmy Steiger & Tommy Malle
1926

The epitome of the carefree Roaring '20s, this irresistible little tune was introduced by Jack Osterman in the theatre revue A Night in Paris. It would be popularized soon after thanks to a hit recording by Fred Waring & His Pennsylvanians. Definitely an attractive mantra for these trying times!

Lyrics:

Lookin' at the world through rose-colored glasses,
Everything is rosy now.
Lookin' at the world, and everything that passes
Seems a rosy hue somehow.

Why do I feel so spry? Don't blink your eye.
Needn't guess, I'll confess.
Certain someone just said 'yes'.

In a bungalow all covered with roses,
I will settle down, I vow.
That's why I'm lookin' at the world through rose-colored glasses,
Everything is rosy now.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra & Count Basie
Arthur Fields
Nick Lucas (below--priceless)
Richard Manning Band
Danny Kaye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd hardly call this a standard.

rhapsody.com only has versions by about 10 artists.
http://www.rhapsody.com/-search?query=Looking+at+the+World+Through+Rose+Colored+Glasses&searchtype=RhapTrack

Listen to The Jonathan Station