"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What'll I Do?

By Irving Berlin
1923

Another big '20s hit for the great Irving Berlin, introduced by Grace Moore and John Steel in his Music Box Revue show. Due to its strong connection to the era, Nelson Riddle incorporated the tune into his Oscar-winning score for the 1974 Robert Redford adaptation of The Great Gatsby.

Lyrics:

Gone is the romance, that was so divine.
It's broken and cannot be mended.
You must go your way, and I must go mine,
But now that our love dreams have ended...

What'll I do
When you are far away,
And I am blue--
What'll I do?

What'll I do
When I am wondering who
Is kissing you--
What'll I do?

What'll I do with just a photograph
To tell my troubles to?

When I'm alone
With only dreams of you
That can't come true,
What'll I do?

Recorded By:

Maude Maggart
Nancy Sinatra
Frank Sinatra
Chris Botti and Paula Cole
Chet Baker

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station