"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, May 9, 2009

The End of a Love Affair

By Edward Redding
1950

This somber and smokey tune of love and loss was practically written for the saloon. Jimmy Dorsey's orchestra introduced it, but it was quickly snatched up by a number of different artists during the 1950s.

Lyrics:

So I walk a little too fast, and I drive a little too fast,
And I'm reckless its true, but what else can you do
At the end of a love affair?

So I talk a little too much, and I laugh a little too much,
And my voice is too loud when I'm out in a crowd,
So that people are apt to stare.

Do they know, do they care, that it's only that I'm lonely,
And low as can be?
And the smile on my face isn't really a smile at at all!

So I smoke a little too much, and I drink a little too much,
And the tunes I request are not always the best,
But the ones where the trumpets blare!

So I go at a maddening pace,
And I pretend that its taking your place
But what else can you do, at the end of a love affair?

Recorded By:

Billie Holiday
Johnny Hartman
Frank Sinatra
Julie London
Dexter Gordon

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station