"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, May 29, 2009

Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry

By Jule Styne & Sammy Cahn
1945

A melodic, romantic favorite by Styne & Cahn, it was introduced at the end of World War II by the Harry James orchestra, and later became a favorite of adult pop singers in the 1950s and beyond. Of particular note is Frank Sinatra's breathtaking rendition on his landmark 1958 album Only the Lonely.

Lyrics:

The torch I carry is handsome.
It's worth its heartache in ransom.
Now when that twilight steals,
I know how the lady in the harbor feels.

When I want rain, I get sunny weather.
I'm just as blue, blue as the sky.
Since love has gone, I can't get myself together.
Guess I'll hang my tears out to dry.

My friends ask me out, but I tell them I'm busy.
I've got to get a new alibi.
I hang around at home, and ask myself: "Where is she?"
Guess I'll hang my tears out to dry.

Dry little tear drops, my little tear drops,
Moving on a stream of dreams.
My little memories, those precious memories
Remind me of our crazy schemes.

Then somebody says, just forget about her.
But I gave that treatment a try.
Strangely enough, I got along without her,
Then one day she passed me right by - oh well,
I guess I'll hang my tears out to dry.

Recorded By:

Dexter Gordon
Sarah Vaughan
Jack Jones
Ray Charles
Mel Torme

2 comments:

asheville jazz band said...

Cool site and idea, very useful for our standards jazz band. Hello from Asheville, NC!

B-Sol said...

Wow, I'm very proud that you guys find my blog useful! I put a lot of effort in, and it's a pleasure to see it's appreciated.

Listen to The Jonathan Station