"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

All Through the Night

By Cole Porter
1934

One of the many classic standards Porter composed for his epic musical, Anything Goes. This would be the same stellar work that included such hits as "You're the Top", "I Get a Kick Out of You" and the title song. This one was introduced on stage by stars Ethel Merman and William Gaxton.

Lyrics:

The day is my enemy, the night my friend,
For I'm always so alone
Till the day draws to an end.
But when the sun goes down
And the moon comes through,
To the monotone of the evening's drone
I'm all alone with you.

All through the night,
I delight in your love,
All through the night, you're so close to me.
All through the night, from a height far above,
You and your love brings me ecstasy.

When dawn comes to waken me,
You're never there at all.
I know you've forsaken me,
Till the shadows fall.
But then once again
I can dream,
I've the right
To be close to you
All through the night.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Julie London
Marilyn Horne
Paul Robeson
Cole Porter

2 comments:

miriamt said...

This show has some of my favorites of Cole Porter! But I think the other two you mentioned take the cake.

B-Sol said...

For me, "You're the Top" is the pinnacle of Porter's work, at least as far as uptempo songs go.

Listen to The Jonathan Station