"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm Beginning to See the Light

By Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges, Don George & Harry James
1944

One of the Duke's all-time classic compositions, which naturally became closely related with his orchestra. The Ellington band recorded it in 1945, but it was Ella Fitzgerald & The Ink Spots who introduced it earlier that same year. A sophisticated melody, combined with a sophisticated lyric make this one an immortal gem.

Lyrics:

I never cared much for moonlit skies,
I never wink back at fireflies.
But now that the stars are in your eyes,
I'm beginning to see the light.

I never went in for afterglow,
Or candlelight on the mistletoe.
But now when you turn the lamp down low,
I'm beginning to see the light.

Used to ramble through the park,
Shadowboxing in the dark,
Then you came and caused a spark
That's a four-alarm fire now.

I never made love by lantern-shine,
I never saw rainbows in my wine.
But now that your lips are burning mine,
I'm beginning to see the light.

Recorded By:

Billy Eckstine
Harry James
Frank Sinatra
Kelly Rowland
Bobby Darin

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station