"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Prisoner of Love

By Russ Colombo, Clarence Gaskill & Leo Robin
1931

A beautiful standard Colombo wrote and introduced himself in the early 1930s. It enjoyed a couple of interesting resurgences. Perry Como would bring it back in the 1940s, and it became one of his signature hits. Then in the early 1960s, it became the first major hit record for a young James Brown. Before he got all funky and stuff...

Lyrics:

Alone from night to night you'll find me,
Too weak to break the chains that bind me.
I need no shackles to remind me,
I'm just a prisoner of love.

For one command I stand and wait now,
From one who's master of my fate now.
I can't escape for it's too late now,
I'm just a prisoner of love.

What's the good of my caring,
If someone is sharing those arms with me?
Although she has another,
I can't have another, for I'm not free.

She's in my dreams awake or sleeping,
Upon my knees to her I'm creeping.
My very life is in her keeping,
I'm just a prisoner of love.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Billy Eckstine
Keely Smith
Etta James
Lester Young

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station