"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, February 9, 2009

All My Tomorrows

By Sammy Cahn & Jimmy Van Heusen
1959

The winning team of Cahn and Van Heusen, a favorite of Frank Sinatra's, composed this tune for the Chairman's Frank Capra picture A Hole in the Head. Sinatra sang the song over the credits of the film. He also recorded it as a single, but it was the release of the other Cahn/Van Heusen song from the soundtrack, "High Hopes", that became a monster hit for Frank.

Lyrics:

Today I may not have a thing at all,
Except for just a dream or two.
But I've got lots of plans for tomorrow,
And all my tomorrows belong to you.

Right now it may not seem like spring at all.
We're drifting and the laughs are few.
But I've got rainbows planned for tomorrow,
And all my tomorrows belong to you.

No one knows better than I
That luck keeps passing me by... that's fate.
But with you there at my side,
I'll soon be turrning the tide... just wait.

As long as I've got arms that cling at all,
It's you that I'll be clinging to.
And all the dreams I dream, beg, or borrow
On some bright tomorrow, they'll all come true.
And all my bright tomorrows belong to you.

Recorded By:

Nancy Wilson
Shirley Horn
Jack Jones
Crystal Gayle
Tony Bennett

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station