"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, February 1, 2009

That's All

By Alan Brandt & Bob Haymes
1952

A warm expression of love in humble, yet colorful terms, this song is a favorite particularly of jazz singers. Although Nat Cole introduced it in 1953, it was Bobby Darin's 1959 recording that became a big hit, and Darin's first stab at the American Songbook. The lyricist Bob Haymes was the younger brother of vocalist Dick Haymes.

Lyrics:

I can only give you love that lasts forever,
And a promise to be near each time you call.
And the only heart I own,
For you and you alone,
That's all,
That's all...

I can only give you country walks in springtime,
And a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall;
And a love whose burning light
Will warm the winter's night.
That's all,
That's all.

There are those, I am sure, who have told you,
They would give you the world for a toy.
All I have are these arms to enfold you,
And a love time can never destroy.

If you're wondering what I'm asking in return, dear,
You'll be glad to know that my demands are small.
Say it's me that you'll adore,
For now and evermore.
That's all,
That's all.

Recorded By:

Michael Buble
Mel Torme
Sam Cooke
Dorothy Dandridge
Connie Francis

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station