"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, February 6, 2009

I Can't Get Started

By Vernon Duke & Ira Gershwin
1935

A charming ballad written for the Broadway musical Ziegfeld Follies of 1936, in which it was introduced by Bob Hope. Bunny Berigan's recording of it the following year became a top 10 hit, and instantly put the song on the map for all time. Its clever lyric tells of the woe of someone who, despite many amazing accomplishments, can't impress the girl he's crazy about.

Lyrics:

I'm a glum one, it's explainable.
I've met someone unattainable.
Life's a bore,
The world is my oyster no more.
All the papers where I led the news
With my capers, now will spread the news:
"Superman Turned Out to Be Flash-in-the-Pan"

I've flown around the world in a plane,
I've settled revolutions in Spain,
The North Pole I have charted--
But I can't get started with you.

Around the golf course I'm under par,
And all the movies want me to star.
I've built a house and show place,
But I can't get no place with you.

You're so supreme,
Lyrics I write of you.
Scheme, just for a sight of you.
And I dream both day and night of you,
And what good does it do.

In 1929, I sold short,
In London, I'm presented at court,
But you've got me down hearted,
Cause I can't get started with you.

Recorded By:

Rosemary Clooney
Frank Sinatra
Keely Smith
Chet Baker
Carmen McRae

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station