"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'll Be Seeing You

By Sammy Fain & Irving Kahal
1937

Written for the flop Broadway musical Right This Way, it later became known as the theme song for world-famous pianist Liberace. Its original performance on stage came from Russian-born Tamara Drasin. With a powerful, building melodic line by Fain, Kahal's lyrics take a simple phrase of goodbye and turn it into a transcendent expression of longing. The song would enjoy a revival thanks to the 2004 film The Notebook, which features versions by Billie Holiday and Jimmy Durante.

Lyrics:

I'll be seeing you
In all the old, familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces
All day through.

In that small cafe,
The park across the way,
The children's carousel,
The chestnut tree,
The wishing well.

Ill be seeing you
In every lovely, summers day,
And everything that's bright and gay.
Ill always think of you that way.

I'll find you in the morning sun,
And when the night is new.
I'll be looking at the moon,
But I'll be seeing you.

Recorded By:

Jo Stafford
Frank Sinatra
Michael Buble
Tony Bennett
Etta James

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station