"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, February 2, 2009

What's New?

By Bob Haggart & Johnny Burke
1938

Originally written by Haggart as an instrumental for Bob Crosby's orchestra, this song was composed as "I'm Free". Burke was brought in by the publisher to add lyrics, and Crosby's band introduced the tune with words in 1939. Burke's unique lyric takes up the point of view of one of the participants in a conversation between former lovers. The song was used as the title track of Linda Rondstadt's first album of standards with Nelson Riddle, in 1983.

Lyrics:

What's new?
How is the world treating you?
You haven't changed a bit.
Lovely as ever, I must admit.

What's new?
How did that romance come through?
We haven't met since then.
Gee, but it's nice to see you again.

What's new?
Probably I'm boring you.
But seeing you is grand,
And you were sweet to offer your hand.

I understand. Adieu!
Pardon my asking what's new.
Of course you couldn't know,
I haven't changed, I still love you so.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Jack Jones
Betty Carter & Carmen McRae
Sonny Rollins

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station