"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Love Letters

By Victor Young and Edward Heyman
1945

Written by Victor Young for the film of the same name starring Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten, it first appeared as an instrumental only. It was nominated for the Oscar for Best Original Song, losing out to Rodgers & Hammerstein's classic "It Might as Well Be Spring" from the movie State Fair. Soon after, Edward Heyman added lyrics, and the tender ballad was introduced on record by vocalist Dick Haymes, who accompanied composer Young's own orchestra. It has since been recorded by countless artists, including an unlikely rendition by the King of rock 'n' roll, Elvis Presley.

Lyrics: 
Love letters straight from your heart,
Keep us so near while we're apart,
I'm not alone in the night,
When I can have all the love you write,
I memorize every line,
I kiss the name that you sign,
And darling,
Then I read,
Again from the start,
Love letters straight from your heart.

Recorded By:

Elvis Presley
Dick Haymes
Alison Moyet
Ketty Lester
Peggy Lee

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station