"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Say It Isn't So

By Irving Berlin
1932

This wonderful song was almost lost to the mists of time. Enduring a career downturn in the early 1930s, an unconfident Irving Berlin stuffed it away in a drawer, thinking it unworthy. Fortunately, one of his employees thought highly of it and brought it to the most established radio star in America, Rudy Vallee, who performed it on the air and made it an instant hit. The first studio recording was made by George Nelson and his Orchestra, and it soared to #1 on the charts. Ozzie Nelson would also have a top ten hit with it that same year. This song, along with "How Deep Is the Ocean", helped launch Berlin back to prominence.

Lyrics: 
Say it isn't so,
Say it isn't so,
Everyone is saying
You don't love me,
Say it isn't so.
Everywhere I go,
Everyone I know,Whispers that you're growing tired of me,
Say it isn't so.
People say that you,Found somebody new,
And it won't be long
Before you leave me,
Say it isn't true,
Say that everything is still okay,
That's all I want to know,
And what they're saying,
Say it isn't so.
Recorded By:

Connie Boswell
Joe Williams
Aretha Franklin
Stan Kenton
Dinah Washington

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station