"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, October 12, 2018

Please

By Ralph Rainger and Leo Robin
1932

One of the most iconic recordings of Bing Crosby, the 20th century's most important popular vocalist, "Please" was introduced by Crosby in the Paramount Pictures movies The Big Broadcast. It was Der Bingle's first starring role, and helped make him a national sensation. The song was a product of the successful movie songwriting team of Rainger & Robin, perhaps best known for writing "Thanks for the Memory" for Bob Hope in The Big Broadcast of 1938 some six years later. With an endearingly catchy lyric and utterly hummable melody, the song has been an inspiration to many, including John Lennon, who cited its wordplay as a direct influence on his early Beatles hit, "Please Please Me".

Lyrics: 
Oh, please
Lend your little ear to my pleas
Lend a ray of cheer to my pleas
Tell me that you love me too
Please
Let me hold you tight in my arms
I could find delight in your charms
Every night my whole life through
Your eyes reveal that you have the soul of
An angel white as snow
How long must I play the role of
A gloomy Romeo?
Oh, please
Say you're not intending to tease
Speed that happy ending and please
Tell me that you love me too
Recorded By:

Bing Crosby
Sarah Vaughan
Ray Coniff
Bucky Pizzarelli
Will Osborne and his Orchestra

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station