"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

By Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart
1940

Originally intended as a blatant expression of female sexuality, from the original production of Pal Joey. It was introduced in its original form by Broadway vet Vivienne Segal, but in later recorded versions it was sanitized to appeal to the more conservative record-buying public at the time. Much of the outright sexuality of the original lyrics were toned down. However, I'm proud to bring you the original words in their entirety here.

Lyrics:

After one whole quart of brandy,
Like a daisy, I awake.
With no Bromo Seltzer handy,
I don't even shake.
Men are not a new sensation;
I've done pretty well, I think.
But this half-pint imitation
Put me on the blink

I'm wild again,
Beguiled again,
A simpering, whimpering child again.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

Couldn't sleep,
And wouldn't sleep
Until I could sleep where I shouldn't sleep.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

Lost my heart, but what of it?
My mistake, I agree.
He's a laugh, but I like it,
B
ecause the laugh's on me.

A pill he is,
But still he is
All mine, and I'll keep him until he is
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered like me.

Seen a lot,
I mean, a lot.
But now I'm like sweet seventeen a lot.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

I'll sing to him,
Each spring to him,
And worship the trousers that cling to him.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

When he talks he is seeking
Words to get off his chest.
Horizontally speaking,
He's at his very best.

Vexed again,
Perplexed again.
Thank God I can't be over-sexed again.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Barbra Streisand
June Christy
Jack Jones

Listen to The Jonathan Station