"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Just Squeeze Me

By Duke Ellington & Lee Gaines
1941

Although originally written by Ellington for his 1941 "Negro revue" Jump for Joy, the Ellington band didn't make the very first recording of the song until five years later. It would not become a hit until Paul Weston's version hit it big later in 1946. The classic tune is a fine example of the Duke's lively, swinging style, fitted perfectly to Gaines' staccato lyrics.

Lyrics:

Treat me sweet and gentle
When you hold me tight.
Just squeeze me,
But please, don't tease me.

I get sentimental
When you hold me tight.
Come and squeeze me,
But please don't tease me.

Missing you since you went away,
Singing the blues most everyday,
Counting the nights and longing for you.

I'm in the mood to let you know
I never knew I loved you so.
Please tell me that you love me, too.

For when I get that feeling,
I'm in ecstasy.
Come on, squeeze me,
But please, don't tease me.

Recorded By:

Diana Krall
Jane Monheit
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Les Brown

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station