"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Boy Next Door

By Hugh Martin & Ralph Blane
1944

This charming tune was written for the one and only Judy Garland, who performed it stunningly in the 1944 classic Meet Me in St. Louis. It has since become a widely performed standard, commonly changed to "The Girl Next Door" when performed by male vocalists such as Frank Sinatra, who recorded it for his criminally underrated 1962 Reprise album All Alone.

Lyrics:

The moment I saw him smile,
I knew he was just my style.
My only regret is we've never met,
Though I dream of him all the while.

But he doesn't know I exist,
No matter how I may persist.
So it's clear to see there's no hope for me,
Though I live at 5135 Kensington Avenue
And he lives at 5133.

How can I ignore the boy next door?
I love him more than I can say.
Doesn't try to please me,
Doesn't even tease me,
And he never sees me glance his way.

And though I'm heart-sore, the boy next door
Affection for me won't display.
I just adore him,
So I can't ignore him,
The boy next door.

Recorded By:

Stacey Kent
Bill Evans
Blossom Dearie
Doris Day
Barbra Streisand

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station