"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, June 29, 2009

Red Roses for a Blue Lady

By Sid Tepper & Roy C. Bennett
1948

Introduced by Vaughn Monroe at the end of 1948, and a strong hit for the singer. It remained the signature version of the song, despite several versions immediately after, and a revival of the song in the mid 1960s, during the "easy listening" craze. I've always been partial to Dean Martin's country-tinged rendition, myself.

Lyrics:

I want some red roses for a blue lady.
Mister florist, take my order please.
We had a silly quarrel the other day.
I hope these pretty flowers chase her blues away.

I want some red roses for a blue lady.
Send them to the sweetest gal in town.
And if they do the trick, I'll hurry back to pick
Your best white orchid for her wedding gown.

Recorded By:

Guy Lombardo
Vic Dana
Wayne Newton
Bert Kaempfert
Ray Conniff

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station